Necklaces are beautiful accessories that can add sparkle to your outfit for the day. Depending on how you choose to flaunt these stunning jewellery pieces, your look can easily go from classic to bold. They go with any occasion, too! You can wear them at weddings, date nights, corporate events and other gatherings, whether you want to stand out or dress down.
Here’s PureShore Jewellery’s guide to help you choose the best necklaces that will complement your ensemble and affair. Read on below!
Different Necklace Lengths
Necklaces come in varying styles and lengths. Because each type exudes a different mood, it’s essential to know which one will look perfect with your attire.
- Choker – Chokers are short chains that tightly wrap around the neck without hanging. They’re usually around 14 to 16 inches and come in varying thicknesses.
- Princess – Princess-length necklaces lie just below the neck, resting around the collarbone. These dainty accessories usually feature a solitaire diamond or a bold pendant.
- Matinée – Matinee-length necklaces are twice the length of chokers. At around 20 to 24 inches long, they rest at the bust line.
- Opera – Opera necklaces are between 24 and 32 inches long. Most ladies love wearing them wrapped around for a shorter but bulkier look.
- Rope – Anything longer than the opera is considered as a rope-length necklace. This style is trendy these days for layering with shorter pieces.
Different Types of Neckline
You can always mix and match accessories, but there are times when it’s best to stick to standard guidelines. Below is a list of different neckline cuts, and our suggested necklace pairings.
- V-Neck – Pair your v-neck top with a dropped necklace. A rounded one may look mismatched, so make sure your chain will highlight your daring look, not distract people from it.
- Strapless – Short, delicate necklaces work well with strapless tops or shirts with low-cut necklines. This length emphasizes the shirt by drawing the eyes upwards towards the shoulders. Finish off your look by wearing a delicate princess-length necklace, or go with a sparkling diamond choker for the extra glam!
- Turtleneck – Turtleneck tops, when paired with long necklaces, give off a classic, retro vibe. Your opera-length South Sea pearl necklace makes a gorgeously bold statement piece when worn with a fitted turtleneck shirt.
- Halter – Halter tops cover your whole chest area and expose your arms for a daring, bold look. This shirt style is best worn without a necklace—try wearing a beautiful pair of drop earrings instead!
Other Factors to Consider
Aside from the necklace’s length and your top’s neckline, there are other things to consider when deciding on which jewellery to wear for the day. For one, you should think about the time and the occasion. If you’re going out for a casual lunch or an errand run in the morning, it’s best to stick to simple styles and keep your elaborate pieces for evening affairs.
Additionally, consider the length and width of your neck. If you wish to have a swan-like appearance, wearing a necklace with a dazzling drop-down pendant will draw the eyes downward, creating an illusion of a longer neck.
When preparing your perfect OOTD, it’s crucial to wear the right necklace to match your dress and occasion. Various clothing styles can highlight accessories differently, and going too long or short may look distracting.
If you are looking for the perfect jewellery for any occasion, get in touch with Pureshore Jewellery in London today and choose from our wide array of collections!